Saturday 30 April 2016

Entry 3

Composition and Reading a Photograph

I quite enjoyed this seminar because it allowed me to be creative theoretically, something I quite relish. Seeing photographs and understanding what they mean or what they are supposed to mean. It also teaches one to know how to insert contextual meaning in photographs. Of course different people will interpret a photograph differently and more often than not several interpretations can apply for a photograph.

How will I look to use contextual meaning in my photographs?
Individually my photos will probably mean something far from what my theme would be but as a collection or a series of 6-8 photographs in a correct sequence they will tell something. For example a pair of shoes lying on the floor could potentially mean many things or nothing but when a photograph of a person getting ready for work precedes it the shoe will signify that it is his next step in getting ready.

Photography is never neutral. I learnt this from the seminar. Why? This is because every photographer or producer will have a certain set of ideas or beliefs upon which the photograph would be taken.


Important aspects to analyse while reading a photograph as far as I have understood are
1. What is the focal point of the photo
2. Where is the photograph set i.e location
3. When was the photograph taken
4. Composition of the photograph


I remember being shown a photograph in the seminar; one where a small boat/log is floating in a lake which is surrounded by large mountains. The lake is also shown to be reflecting the mountains making a 'v' shape. While the boat/log was really small, it wasn't insignificant rather it was the focal point of the photograph. It can be inferred that size does not count for relevancy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment