Saturday 30 April 2016

Entry 9

Sarah Maple


I was asked to look upon the works of this particular photographer/visual artist as it might help in my research. So I did.



Sarah describes herself as, “an artist, feminist, activist”. Exploring cultural issues that has experienced growing up as a Muslim in the south of England, her art is related to gender, sexuality and religion with a hint of provocation and a huge sense of humor. Her work represents an identity quest for a young British Muslim growing in a mixed family with very few fellow Muslims around, except in her own family. Her work explores complex issues in a comical and light-hearted manner which appeals to a large audience. She definitely did not appear to be muslim to me after seeing her works so that part came quite as a shock to me as I have always known Muslims to be very conservative especially the females.


I definitely don't think I can take inspiration of any kind from her work as it is simply too bold and provocative. For a project for first year it's best to keep things simple. 

There are certain images where she cos-plays as fairytale princesses and perhaps that is the only aspect I can take help from maybe by asking someone to dress up as a superhero.







No comments:

Post a Comment